3rd Floor Publication

The insightful, innovative and visually enticing muse for creative professionals.



Wednesday 10 March 2010

Interview with Jason DeCaires Taylor

Today I had been eagerly awaiting my interview with internationally acclaimed underwater sculptor ‘extraordinaire’ Jason DeCaires Taylor. Originally from the UK, Jason now resides in Mexico where he works on and displays his many sculptural projects.

Many questions flash through my mind as I prepare for the interview, does he think of his underwater world as a form of escapism? How on earth does he make casts of real-life people? …and how do they feel about being immortalised in underwater artwork?

So, what can you look forward to…

“I was actually a graffiti artist when I was young, I used to do a lot of trains and walls…”

“Some people are amazed by my underwater sculptures, it confuses them… some people have even asked if it’s a lost empire.”

“All the pieces I have created recently have been made using life casts of real people, we’ve had local fishermen, schoolchildren and even a nun. I love communicating how peoples characteristics have evolved according to where they live.”

“The weightlessness of the underwater experience makes you feel removed from the ‘normal’ world, a sort of escapism.”

Check out Jason's work in Mexico at http://www.underwatersculpture.com/

Look out for the full interview in Issue 3 of 3rd Floor, on sale June 2010. 

Interview by Jo Hayhoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment